Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Harper Lee Debate




So, here's the question, and I'd love to hear what you think: Is Harper Lee being manipulated into releasing the sequel to "To Kill a Mockingbird" or is she reportedly, "alive and kicking and happy as hell with the reactions to Watchman"? (source BBC News)

I, for one, hope that the second scenario is true ... I hope she is "happy as hell". As a writer, I can understand the tremendous amount of pressure she must have felt to have any other work measure up to the impossibly high standards of Mockingbird. So, I can see why she hid it for all these years (55 years!). Maybe age and with it, a new perspective, could have changed her mind about putting her work out there once more.

Still, I've lived on this planet long enough to be skeptical of the motivations of those people responsible for bringing her "lost novel" out of hiding and, most significantly, up for sale. For this reason, I am hesitant to purchase it once it's available in July of this year. (Of course, I'm only going as far to say "hesitant" to buy it and not "never, ever".)

So, which side of the debate do you believe? Manipulated or "happy as hell"? Share here or on my Facebook page!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome and Encouraged! I would love to hear your thoughts, reactions or just say, "hi".